A federal court ruled against former President Donald Trump this week, rejecting a bid to limit a gag order placed on him in the court case regarding the 2020 election. The case came after the former president attended a court hearing in New York City and was reproached by a judge.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit determined that the gag order in special counsel Jack Smith’s 2020 election aftermath case could stand.
The order limiting Trump’s ability to speak about the case was issued by U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan last October. Smith had accused the former president of making comments that could affect the proceedings and influence the jury.
In December, three of the D.C. Circuit court judges determined that the order would stand, but limited some aspects of it. The decision was appealed by the former president’s legal team, which led to the current decision.
The original decision, which has been upheld by the entire D.C. Circuit Court ruled that Trump could speak about the case regarding existing witnesses but could not criticize them regarding the case or what he expected them to testify in court.
— ✟ Right Scoop ✟ (@trscoop) January 23, 2024
Trump’s legal team argued that the initial decision was against previous U.S. Supreme Court rulings and other precedent. Furthermore, Trump’s attorneys argued that the second look was necessary “both to secure uniformity of this Court’s decisions and because of the question’s exceptional importance.”
Trump attended the civil trial regarding author E. Jean Carrol last week and was reprimanded by U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan after speaking during testimony.
When Kaplan said that Trump would have to be quiet or be removed, the former president said that he would love to leave.
During the trial, Trump called the case a “witch hunt” and a “con job.” Trump also called Kaplan a “nasty judge.”
“It’s a disgrace, frankly, what’s happening,” Trump said after the case. “Carroll’s allegation was “a made-up, fabricated story.”