Fox News suddenly and shockingly announced that they were parting ways with anchor Tucker Carlson, who was their most popular host.
The announcement came as a surprise on Monday morning — as typically when a popular figure leaves a show, they have a special send-off show to mark the occasion. However, Fox News said in a press release that Carlson’s last day had already happened on Friday — and it didn’t seem like the Fox News anchor was aware of his impending departure.
This was Tucker Carlson’s last segment on Fox
— Benny Johnson (@bennyjohnson) April 24, 2023
“FOX News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways,” the press release read. “We thank him for his service to the network as a host and prior to that as a contributor.”
“Mr. Carlson’s last program was Friday, April 21,” the company said. “Fox News Tonight will air live at 8 PM/ET starting this evening as an interim show helmed by rotating FOX News personalities until a new host is named.”
— Sara Fischer (@sarafischer) April 24, 2023
Data shows that Tucker Carlson Tonight was the highest-rated primetime news show on television.
“In April 2020, the Tucker Carlson Tonight program surpassed Hannity as the highest-rated primetime cable show, averaging an audience of 4.56 million viewers,” Breitbart News reported. “In the second quarter of 2020, the show saw an average audience of 4.33 million viewers. That was the largest number of viewers for any program in the history of cable news.”
It is currently unknown why Carlson left the news channel, though there has been a lot of speculation about the matter. Some have claimed that the recent Dominion lawsuit settlement had something to do with it, but that theory has been dismissed by many. Others have speculated that Carlson may be planning a 2024 presidential run, though he has previously dismissed the idea.
Carlson has already received public requests to join The Blaze and The Daily Wire, while others have called for the former Fox News host to join Rumble — the free-speech video platform alternative to pro-censorship YouTube.
Glenn Beck, former Fox News host and current owner of The Blaze, asserted that this decision will “Kill FOX” as a company.
— Glenn Beck (@glennbeck) April 24, 2023