The Islamic Republic of Iran warned the United States against possible strikes against ships in the Red Sea Washington believes is aiding Houthi attacks against civilian and military vessels. The statements came after a series of American strikes against Iran-linked militias in Yemen, Syria and Iraq.
Tehran said last week that the United States should not attack two Iranian ships near the Red Sea, despite suspicions that they are being used for spying.
The two ships, the Behshad and Saviz, are part of a company under U.S. sanctions. Washington believes that the ships are aiding Houthi strikes on civilian and military traffic in and around the Red Sea.
The Iranian Army recently called the two ships “floating armories.”
The same statement showed an American flag and U.S. Navy vessels, stating that those “engaging in terrorist activities against Behshad, or similar vessels jeopardize international maritime routes, security and assume global responsibility for potential future international risks.”
American aircraft struck 85 sites used by militia sites and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) following more than 150 attacks on American forces since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October.
The United States also stepped up attacks against Houthi targets following a number of new missile and drone attacks on vessels near the Red Sea. The Pentagon said that American and British aircraft struck 30 targets related to the Houthis, including missile storage and launch sites.
This was followed by a renewed set of American strikes Sunday after the Houthis prepared for new strikes.
Feb. 4 Summary of Additional USCENTCOM Self-Defense Strikes in Yemen
On Feb. 4, at approximately 5:30 a.m. (Sanaa time), U.S. Central Command forces conducted a strike in self-defense against a Houthi a land attack cruise missile.
Beginning at 10:30 a.m. U.S. forces struck… pic.twitter.com/ScZWEajJe2
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) February 5, 2024
U.S. Central Command said in a statement that the United States “struck four anti-ship cruise missiles, all of which were prepared to launch against ships in the Red Sea.” Central Command said that the missiles “presented an immigrant threat to U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region.”
The statement said that the most recent strikes would “protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy vessels and merchant vessels.”